INFANTRY DAY RECAP - LION OF NAUSHERA

No automatic alt text available.
Arun Swaminathan
An Excerpt from “ The Annals of an Average Officer – The Short but Exciting Military Career of IC 2093 Capt G Swaminathan ( Retd ), Corps of Signals ( 1944-1952... )
by
Prof ( Ar ) Arun Swaminathan

A TRIBUTE TO BRIG MOHAMMAD USMAN ,MVC (P) AND A FATEFUL POSTCARD FROM THE PAST
21 OCT 2017
2325HRS
My friend Dr Aditya Sondhi and the dedicated team of Trustees set up the Gen KS Thimayya Memorial Lecture Series in 2009, commemorating Gen“Timmy“ who passed through the hallowed portals of our Alma Mater- Bishop Cotton Boys' School, Bangalore. The Kumaon Regt (Regiment)being Gen Timmy's own is always represented alongwith a number of Armed Forces Veterans being invited to the events.
My father was an ardent supporter of this wonderful initiative, so much so, when Father spent the last few months of his life battling Cancer in Command Hospital Air Force, he always had a regular visitor in Aditya.
On 16 Nov 2013, the 9th Gen KS Thimayya Memorial Lecture was by Old Cottonian Ramesh Vangal and as is the Trusts' tradition, Tea was being served with the Madras Engineering Group(MEG)Band playing in the background. OC Vangal's lecture was on “Beyond Boundaries: Karma, Innovation and India’s Economic Story” .
I was wearing the Golden Jubilee Tie of the Old Cottonians Association (OCA) with 1927-1977 and the School Crest embroidered in Zari. Coincidentally, 1977 was the year I passed out of Cottons. (My father, upon my graduating from School promptly and wisely made me a Life Member of the OCA and bought the entire ensemble which included, this tie, lapel pin, cuff links and a tie-clip)...
While I got myself a cup of tea, a distinguished veteran with an Air Force tie walked up to me and admired my tie. He was thrilled to know that I was from Elphick House and identified himself as “Trevor“.
Soon it was time to go into the lecture held at the Bishop George Edward Lynch Cotton Auditorium built on our old NCC (National Cadet Corps)Parade Ground.
After the School Song was played, there was the introductory slideshow about Gen “Timmy” and other updates. One of the updates was the sad demise of one of the Trust's Patron, Air Marshal “Mally” MSD Wollen,PVSM,VM(Retd), also a dear friend of my father's. The other patrons were and still are Admiral VS Shekawat,PVSM, AVSM,VrC(Retd), Former Chief of the Naval Staff and Lt Gen SK Jetley,PVSM,AVSM, SM(Retd).
The new patron to my surprise was none other than the Old Cottonian I had met outside who had modestly introduced himself as “ TREVOR “!!!
Air Marshal Trevor Osman PVSM,AVSM(Retd)was a former Vice Chief of the Indian Air Force and as the slides continued I was absolutely stunned to know that his father was no less than the legendary “Lion of Naushera”, Brig Mohammad Usman,MVC(P)!!!...the very officer who refused the generous offer of the Quaid-E- Azam (Mohammed Ali Jinnah) and Liaquat Ali Khan to become a General in the then newly formed Pakistan Army (apparently to head the Pak Army)...Brig Usman had firmly chosen to remain in the Indian Army and transferred from the Baluch Regt to the Rajput Regt going on to command 50 Para (I) Brigade in the Naushera Sector during the First Kashmir Campaign. He was killed on 3 July 1948 by a shell in Jangarh when he came out of a protective overhang in a rock feature. He was awarded the Maha Vir Chakra posthumously.
Now before I get down to the reason for my getting absolutely stunned I should take you to GHQ(General Headquarters)Signals, Delhi in 1948.
My father was posted there as a young Captain all of 26 and raring to go.
One morning he was routinely going through the Notice Board just outside his CO's (Commanding Officer)office...My father was totally unware of the conversation Lt Col Luthra was having with his Adjutant. Apparently they were talking of posting out an Officer whom they did not like. Their plan was to send him to one of the battle zones in Jammu and Kashmir where there was plenty of fighting going on. Unfortunately for them the concerned Officer got wind of their plan and took on the CO!!! The CO jumped to the conclusion that my father had ratted on him as he was told that my father was outside his Office at that time... Putting 2 and 2 together and making it INFINITY he decided to “ punish” my father by sending him to the War Zone...
He was very puzzled when my father reacted to the posting with utter joy!!! This is what my father said was a great opportunity for any soldier - “To do what he was trained for namely- “ACTIVE SERVICE”!!!
So, Capt Swaminathan found himself entering the most cherished part of his entire life, with me later growing up on the lore of the Valley and the wonderful aspects of SOLDIERING!!! I have retained with reverence his Maroon Kangol Airborne Battle Beret which kept him company through this exciting tour of duty (Pictured above with his two “Lonely” but “Historically very Symbolic” medals and miniatures,, flanked on the left by his Corps Tie, the I Signals Shoulder Flash, the “JIMMY” above it and the Para Regt Badge, flanked on the right by the OCA Tie accompanied by a Souvenir of Gen Timmy's Kumaon Regt Tie).
So, for my father, it was to be 50 Para Brigade in the Naushera – Jangarh Sector as the BSO (Brigade Signals Officer) to Brig Harbajan Singh IC-2 ( Indian Commission No.2 ).
The good and the great Brigadier had taken over 50 Para Bde after Brig Usman's untimely death.
When I was young, my father once drew me a plan and sections of his bunker made of Deodar logs. He with the help of his Batman(Orderly) had made a Footscraper out of Beer Bottle Caps and a wooden plank. One day a pal of Father's happened to drop in and before the visitor could say “CHEESE” my father growled,“Scrape your feet before you come in “to which his friend retorted, “Swami , you haven't changed even here with all the mud around and your bunker is so tidy...” To this my father replied, “ All the more reason!!!” They had a couple of Beers after that!!!
The reason for my describing his bunker was that in a book on our Parachute Regt once lent to me by my dear friend and Para Officer, Brig PK Gangadharan(Retd), I had discovered a map showing the precise location where Brig Usman was killed. It was amazingly above the Signal Officer's bunker (which my father later occupied) and behind that spot was the rocky overhang out of which Brig Usman emerged to meet with his tragic destiny!!!
My father was entrusted with the job of putting up a Memorial Stone at that spot. He got hold of a “Thambi” - a Sapper from the valiant and venerable Madras Engineering Group (affectionately still referred to as the Madras Sappers). The Thambi was chosen by my father as the Sapper had a gift for working with Stone. So father put him on Extra Rations and got him to inscribe the Stone in memory of the legendary and noble Lion of Naushera – Brig Mohammad Usman MVC (P)...( I gather that the Memorial Stone may have been refurbished at leisure in the later years).
Now returning to 16 Nov 2013... I waited with great patience till the proceedings were over and after the National Anthem I made my way over to Old Cottonian “Trevor”...
I told him, “Sir, I have a Treasure to tell you of...”
He looked at me curiously as I recounted what my father had got done for his father and imagine that one generation later as well as 65 years hence the story came out...
I was told by my childhood friend and buddy, Col Chanda Prabhu a Veteran from the famous “BLACK POM POMS“ -The Madras Regt, that as a YO (Young Officer ) he had visited that sector and as is customary paid his respects at the memorial...
I too wish to make a pilgrimage to pay my respects to the Gallant Lion Of Naushera...
One day... YES!!!

Comments

  1. There is a case of Mistaken identity wrt to Air Mshl Trevor as this was mentioned by mistake in the book Order of the Crest.
    When I spoje to the Air Marshal, he pointed out that he was not the son of the Great Brigadier by the son of a Col Osmsn and he had with his father and brother and brother visited the Memorial.
    The Author of the book Order of the Crest very graciously issued a public apology for the mistaken entry from which I had quoted.

    Once again, apologies for the error in the last part.

    Jai Hind

    May Our Indian Armed Forces Be Always Blessed In Victory

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment